Thursday, June 29, 2006

white people are funny

thanks for all of the condolensces, guys - it means a lot. the past week has been crazy with all the stuff that's been going on but it's been so eye opening to lots of things - life, love, family. when i got to the house last thursday before the Mass, joey was introducing me to his grandma's oldest friend (literally and figuratively Dana - she's 85 and they've known each other for like 50 years!) anyway, after he introduced me as "his girlfriend and love of his life" she's said "nice to meet you, honey! I heard that he's saving for your ring." I looked at Joey, Joey looked at me and Annie said "oh, was I not supposed to tell?" I said "it's ok, I kinda knew" and we went about our merry way. and then when were giving our condolensces to the family at the Rose Hills Chapel, I was in front of Joey and his Uncle Vince asked "Where's her ring, Joe?" and back at the house the uncles were eating the strawberries straight from the pie, no forks or plates and I was like, yummmmmmmm, looks good, and both Uncle David and Uncle Vince were like, "you're family, you can do it too" then both eyed Joey. they're so funny. talk about no pressure.
it's so weird to me that a lot of white people don't call their aunts and uncles, aunt and uncle, they just address them by their first name. it's weird for me to address them by their first name. joey's sister's boyfriend does it all the time, but i can't. he even calls grandma by her first name and that's just offensive to me. it's too weird. so i just make sure that they're looking at me before i start talking to them and then start talking.
i had to take his cousin paul to the korean market to buy some korean bbq. the guy didn't really respond to him so paul started talking to him in korean and he totally paid attention to him. how sad is that? but i had to cook the white sticky rice for them because they didn't have any.
after we had come back from the grocery store everyone had already finished eating so i made myself a plate and asked if joey wanted me to make him one. he did so i brought out our plates to the pool house where everyone was. Joey was lying on the bench and I brought him his food. Uncle David was like, "Kay, you are not doing that." I said "Doing what?" Uncle David "You're serving him his food on the bench like he's some king." I was like "Do you want me to get you some food too?" His Uncle David then went on to tell me that he and Aunt Rhonda got into a fight about ice cream. I think she was sitting on the couch eating some ice cream and he asked if she could get him some and she said no, that he could get it himself and then it turned into this whole big mess. I said that culturally, if you're eating, you're always supposed to invite others to eat and see if they want to eat with you. i think that surprised him.
They were supposed to play the newlywed game this past weekend but they ran out of time. but the questions were funny because his uncle david told us afterward - here are samples:
Where was the strangest place you've made whoopie?
Which cartoon character best describe's your wife's ex-boyfriend?
A) Mighty Mouse B) Chicken Little C) Goofy
Which Beatles' song best describes the last time that you made whoopie?
A) Help B) It's Been a Hard Day's Night C) Eight Days a Week D) She's Got a Ticket to Ride ................. that's the funniest one!
I think the bonus question for the guys was: What's your wife's shoe size?
Anyway, joey's sister and boyfriend were supposed to play and they said we could wait until next year but they never ended up playing. anyway, it's been a very white week. i think i need to hang out with some asian people soon. yes that means you. haha.

2 comments:

Dana said...

jeebus! that IS an "old" friend. 50 years, huh? well, john and i are at 22 years. :)

Stephanie said...

This is so funny cause Grish has issues with me calling my aunts and uncles by their first names too. With white people there just aren't any titles. Grish even gets mad at me when I somtimes call my grandma by her first name, thats just to get her attention though :)