Thursday, March 09, 2006

mina's story

so i had dim sum with mina on monday because she was in town. we're talking and she tells me a story.

Mina: "I can't pull off this dentist thing because people think I'm too young."
me: :why?

so she goes on to tell me how they have a class in which they teach young children how to brush and floss their teeth. They're partnered up and on one Thursday morning she was in her garage packing up the supplies while waiting her partner to pick her up. She's wearing her scrubs and her white coat while in the garage and the gardener approaches.

Gardener: Excuse me (in a heavy accent)
My (turning around): yes
Gardener: Excuse me
My: yes
Gardener: (pause ) ... is your daddy home?
My (confused for a second and then realizing that the gardener thinks that she is a child and it would take too long to explain) No
and then he walks away ...
My hears the gardener go back to the truck and all of his fellow gardeners start talking to him in Spanish and start laughing .... then the gardener comes back to the garage

Gardener: Excuse me
My (still getting her stuff and hoping that he won't ask if her mommy's home) yes
Gardener: Are you a dentist?
My: yes
Gardener: oh .... and walks away in silence ...

No comments: