Tuesday, January 24, 2006

his "best" friend

so while at the hospital cafeteria today, i ran into an old friend from UCI, she used to work at the bookstore with me. it was very random. anyway, she asked what I was doing there and I said I'm actually in training right now because I'm going to be working on the 5th floor after graduating from nursing school. she's now working at the courthouse, across the way, as an atty for the parents who are trying to re-gain custody of their kids. so we got each other's numbers again and said we would definitely try to catch up.
as we're paying for our food (we're in 2 different lines),
she says "hey, kay, I'll find you a cute boy over there and you find me one over here."
I say "I don't think my boyfriend would appreciate that very much"
she says "are you still with that guy that you were with in college?"
I say "No .... I'm with his best friend"
she gasps and says "we definitely have to catch up now."
so then I start thinking, not really his best friend, just his oldest friend. but still, it sounds bad saying his friend at all. my other friend and i were just talking about this. in our little incestuous group of friends, we're all still friends - even though everyone has had some sort of relationship or connection with everyone else. in any other normal circle of friends, people usually don't remain friends with their ex's, but in ours, they do. the only one that doesn't is joey. i told joey about this conversation that I had with my other friend last week and he said "see, I'm the only normal one at of all the rest of you." I guess it's true.

4 comments:

Dana said...

you said "oldest friend." does that mean ray is 80? HAHAHA! Time for me to be snarky with you just like you were with me before!

kay said...

oh yeah ... i forgot about that ... hahahaha

Anonymous said...

Your life is basically 90210...

Reenie said...

wow...that is rare that your group can still be friends with people from their past relationships. good for you guys =). but, i think joey's right though...normally i don't think people can be friends with their ex's. it's just too complicated. i guess it all depends on whether or not your current significant other is okay with you being friends with your ex AND whether or not you want to be friends with them in the first place. hahaha...ray's right...you guys sound like a soap opera =D. miss you, kay!!! babayoooooo!!!