Thursday, January 19, 2006

the bet

so my friend has been trying to get over her ex- for months, i would like to say almost a year now. they had decided last year, at around this time, that they were going to break up on valentine's day 2005. that was the set date. then, his job stability got shaken and he had to take a transfer - to honolulu. so that pushed up their break up because they were already on the verge of breaking up and it kind of set circumstances. they were together for 8 years.
since then, she's been trying to get over him. but, he always comes back to the mainland every 3 months to visit and we all get together because we're all still friends. but every time he comes around, they start hanging out again - just the two of them - nothing physical but just getting emotionally attached - again.
so after his most recent trip, they were talking and then she decided she was done. it had been almost a year and she wanted to stop getting strung along. so, i did what my sister did to me when she was teaching me and everyone else how to get over someone - I made a bet. My sister won herself $100, a snowboard and a trip to Disneyland testing girls on how they can't hold themselves back and speak to their ex-boyfriends (I lost the $100.)
anyway, so I made a bet. I said 6 months of no communication. It would be healthy for her so that she could move on and she could just put him away, just a little. If she did call him within that 6 month span, then I won a trip to Vegas. If not, then I would pay for our trip to Vegas. This bet was made a little bit before Christmas.
So here it is, the middle of January, and guess what? I won the bet - Vegas here I come!
We had dinner last night and as soon as we sit down she says "I owe you a trip to Vegas." I win. But it sucks because now we're in the same pattern again. How do you get over someone after 8 years and that you know that they still - to this day - admittedly care about you? I always tell my guy friend - the other side of this relationship - that he's such an ass. he can't make up his mind and that he's stringing her along, basically wanting to have his cake and eat it too. he knows that but he doesn't know how to change it either. he thought moving away would be good for them but every time he comes back, it's the same thing. oh well. we'll see.

2 comments:

Dana said...

bad "mike"!

Reenie said...

gosh, that's a hard one. at least you won a trip to vegas! yehey! but, i feel really bad for your friend. 8 years is a super long time to be emotionally, physically, and mentally attached to someone. it's no wonder she's still not over him...and i think she won't be for a very long time. hmmm...my advice is to try and get her to go out and meet new people. it's not meant to be a rebound thing, but from experience, i find that meeting new people takes your mind off of the past and helps you move on. i hope things work out for the best for her. it's just not fun when you're addicted to someone.