Monday, February 12, 2007

to bury a child

it's something that a parent should never have to do ...
i realized last night why i don't work pediatrics or peds icu - it's just too difficult
my pt came in last night - 16 year old kid - hit by a car - intoxicated - the kid was, not the driver and basically came up to me brain dead - his pupils were blown, no reflexes, nothing. he was on a vent to keep him breathing. but basically put, brain dead.
and to see the mother going nuts and the father just silent "at his worst nightmare" was tearing up my heart.
and again i realize why i can't work with kids - their lives are so precious
i just continue to pray for strength for the family, for the boy's soul and for my own strength that i can go back and give comfort to a grieving family.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Geez Kay I don't know how you do it. I'll pray that you get the strength to help this family in their time of suffering.